HOW DO I BECOME BOARD CERTIFIED?
- Graduate from an NCBTMB Assigned School*
- Verify you are legally practicing in your state/jurisdiction
- Complete the Board Certification Application
- Agree to NCBTMB's Standards of Practice & Code of Ethics
- Complete a criminal background check (performed by NCBTMB)
- Submit payment of $275
- Pass the Board Certification Exam
*If you did not graduate from an NCBTMB Assigned School, or completed international training, you may apply via Portfolio Review (additional $75 fee).
Once earned, you must achieve a minimum 24 CEs-including 3 CEs in Ethics-every 2 years, as well as pass a criminal background check to maintain your credential.
Click here for more detailed information regarding Board Certification Renewal
Click here for information about Advanced Science Courses for Board Renewal
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?
Modalities, Techniques & Manual Forces (20%)
Applied Science (25%)
Communication & Documentation (15%)
Professionalism & Ethics (10%)
Laws & Business Practices (5%)
Client Assessment & Treatment (25%)
- Online Practice Exam
- Board Certification Study Guide
- BCETMB Reference List
- Brick by Brick: Applied Sciences Webinar with Portia Resnick, PH.D., ATC, BCTMB, LMT
- Brick by Brick: Communication & Documentation Webinar with Douglas Nelson, BCTMB, LMT
- Brick by Brick: Assessment with Christopher Jones, MS, BCTMB, LMT
- Brick by Brick: Massage Modalities with Matthew Gavzy, PTA, BCTMB, LMT
- Brick by Brick: Professionalism, Ethics, Business and Law with Nancy Porambo, MS, CMNT, BCTMB, LMT
EXAM MATERIAL ARTICLES
First appearing in a Massage Magazine series, these articles provide insight into how the categories covered in the exam help your practice. The articles also provide insight into what you need to know to prepare for the exam. Check back to read the next article in the series.
- Brick by Brick: 3 Ways Professional Communication Helps You Build Your Practice by Douglas Nelson, BCTMB, LMT
- Brick by Brick: This is How Your Knowledge of Pathology, Movement, Anatomy & Medication Improves Your Massage by Portia B. Resnick, PH.D., ATC, BCTMB, LMT
- Brick by Brick: The Value of Adding Assessment to Massage Therapy Sessions by Christopher V. Jones, BCTMB, LMT
- Brick by Brick: Understanding Advanced Massage Techniques Will Elevate Your Practice by Matthew Gavzy, PTA, BCTMB, LMT
- Brick by Brick: Professional Practices Protect your Massage Career by Nancy M. Porambo, CNMT, BCTMB, LMT