HOW DO I BECOME BOARD CERTIFIED?
- Graduate from an NCBTMB Assigned School*
- Verify you are legally practicing in your state/jurisdiction
- Complete the Board Certification Application
- Agree to NCBTMB's Standards of Practice & Code of Ethics
- Complete a criminal background check (performed by NCBTMB)
- Submit payment ($250 for the application and $25 for the criminal background check)
- Pass the Board Certification Exam
*If you did not graduate from an NCBTMB Assigned School, or completed international training, you may apply via Portfolio Review (additional $75 fee).
Once earned, you must achieve a minimum 24 CEs-including 3 CEs in Ethics-every 2 years, as well as pass a criminal background check to maintain your credential.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?
Modalities, Techniques & Manual Forces (20%)
Applied Science (25%)
Communication & Documentation (15%)
Professionalism & Ethics (10%)
Laws & Business Practices (5%)
Client Assessment & Treatment (25%)
EXAM MATERIAL ARTICLES
First appearing in a Massage Magazine series, these articles provide insight into how the categories covered in the exam help your practice. The articles also provide insight into what you need to know to prepare for the exam. Check back to read the next article in the series.
- Brick by Brick: 3 Ways Professional Communication Helps You Build Your Practice by Douglas Nelson, BCTMB, LMT
- Brick by Brick: This is How Your Knowledge of Pathology, Movement, Anatomy & Medication Improves Your Massage by Portia B. Resnick, PH.D., ATC, BCTMB, LMT