Board Certification in Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (BCTMB)
Board Certification in Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (BCTMB) represents the highest attainable credential within the massage therapy and bodywork profession. Board Certification is a separate credential above and beyond entry-level massage therapy state licensure.
As Board Certification is voluntary, its achievement represents the highest level of commitment to clients and to the advancement of the massage therapy and bodywork profession. Board Certificants must meet higher standards of education, possess a higher level of critical thinking skills, and pass a rigorous exam. The exam requires candidates to apply assessment skills, orthopedic knowledge, applied science skills (such as pathology, pharmacology, and more), and more to real-life scenarios in an effort to develop treatment plans that achieve positive results.
In addition, all Board Certificants must undergo a routine criminal background check upon initial application and renewal (every two years) as a means of ensuring employers and the public that they are working with a trusted and reputable professional.
NCBTMB is the only certifying body for the massage therapy and bodywork profession. For that reason, NCBTMB’s certification processes are founded upon superior Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice, which all Board Certificants must adhere to. Like our Certificants, the advancement of the profession and the improvement of client care is our focus.
For a full list of FAQs related to Board Certification in Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork, click here.
Board Certification Initial Requirements
- Graduation from a NCBTMB Assigned School*
- Passing score the NCBTMB Board Certification Exam
- Pass a criminal background check (performed by NCBTMB)
- Verification of legal practice in your state (e.g. having passed the MBLEx)
- Agree to uphold NCBTMB Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics
*If you did not graduate from a NCBTMB Assigned School or completed international training, you may elect to apply for Board Certification via Portfolio Review.
Board Certification Costs
- $250 Application & Exam Fee
- $25 Background Check Fee
- $75 Portfolio Review Fee (if applicable)
- Register on ncbtmb.org to generate a username/password
- Login to your new account
- Click “Initial Applications” from Dashboard
- Select “Board Certification Initial Application”
- Submit completed form and fees