Who We Are & Our Mission
The National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) is an independent, private, nonprofit organization founded in 1992. The mission of NCBTMB is to define and advance the highest standards in the massage therapy and bodywork profession. In support of this mission, NCBTMB serves the profession through Board Certification, Specialty Certificates, Approved Providers, and Assigned Schools.
What Certification Means
NCBTMB introduced Board Certification to the profession in 2013, replacing previously known National Certification (1992-2013). Board Certification in Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork is the profession's only true certification credential, and remains the profession's top achievement above entry-level state licensure. There are tens of thousands of Board Certified Massage Therapists located across the United States.
Board Certified status requires a certificant to pass a rigorous NCBTMB Board Certification Exam, as well as demonstrate greater critical thinking skills, pass a criminal background check, and agree to uphold NCBTMB's Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics. The 2018 Pass Rate for the BCETMB was 64.43%.¹
For more information on Board Certification, click here.
To connect with a Board Certified Massage Therapist, click here.
At NCBTMB, our goals are to:
- Elevate the profession by recognizing and encouraging excellence in schools, continuing education, therapist competency and high standards.
- Establish certification as a recognized credential of professional and ethical standards.
- Promote the worth of Board Certification to health, therapeutic massage and bodywork professionals, public policy makers and the general public.
- Assure and maintain the integrity, stability and quality of the Board Certification program.
- Periodically update the program to reflect state-of-the-art practices in therapeutic massage and bodywork.
We are proud to be directed by the NCBTMB Certification Board. Elected by our Board Certified practitioners, our Certification Board Members embody the diversity of our industry in their expertise in many modalities.
1333 Burr Ridge Parkway
Burr Ridge, IL 60527
President: Portia B. Resnick, PH.D., ATC, LMT, BCTMB
Secretary and CEO: Steven P. Kirin
Contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-296-0664, fill out our Contact Form, email firstname.lastname@example.org or Live Chat us on www.ncbtmbbeta.org.
Customer Service hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm CST.