Who We Are & Our Mission
The National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) is an independent, private, nonprofit organization founded in 1992. NCBTMB’s mission:
Elevating the massage therapy profession nationwide by establishing and advancing the highest credentials and standards of excellence.
For a copy of NCBTMB's 2021/22 Strategic Plan click here.
What Certification Means
Board Certification in Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (BCTMB®) is the highest credential within the massage and bodywork profession. Choosing to become Board Certified demonstrates your advanced assessment and critical thinking abilities, as well as provides instant credibility to current and prospective clients and employers.
Board Certified status requires a certificant to pass a rigorous NCBTMB Board Certification Exam, as well as demonstrate greater critical thinking skills, pass a criminal background check, and agree to uphold NCBTMB's Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics. The 2020 Pass Rate for the BCETMB was 63.7%.¹
For more information on Board Certification, click here.
To connect with a Board Certified Massage Therapist, click here.
Through its accredited status, NCBTMB creates, promotes, and sustains a culture in which the highest quality of professional credentialing and standards are advanced in the massage therapy profession.
This is accomplished by:
- ensuring that the NCBTMB board certification examination and requirements reflect the highest level of professional standards.
- ensuring that educators and courses taught are of high quality and integral to the ongoing maintenance of board certification.
- maintaining a strong and viable infrastructure that supports NCBTMB programs.
- effectively communicating the importance of board certification to the public, to employers, to massage therapists and to stakeholders in massage and related professions.
- building a community committed to elevating the profession and promoting the safest, most ethical, and highest quality massage experience for wellness and health.
Board Certification: NCBTMB grows the community of Board Certified therapists by creating awareness of certification’s value to therapists and stakeholders.
Approved Provider: Through the Approved Provider program, NCBTMB promotes and upholds the highest standards of continuing education.
Infrastructure: NCBTMB builds a strong and sustainable infrastructure to ensure growth of its essential programs and to respond to new opportunities.
We are proud to be directed by the NCBTMB Certification Board. Elected by our Board Certified practitioners, our Certification Board Members embody the diversity of our industry in their expertise in many modalities.
1333 Burr Ridge Parkway
Burr Ridge, IL 60527
President: Dolly Wallace, BCTMB, LMT
Secretary and CEO: Shelly Johnson
Contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-296-0664, fill out our Contact Form or email email@example.com.
Customer Service hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm CST.