Burr Ridge, Ill. (February 4, 2020)—The National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) announced today Cynthia Ribeiro LMT, BCTMB, NMT and Nicole Zeger, M.A., were positively voted through by Certificants to join the NCBTMB Certification Board, effective March 1, 2020. Additionally, Portia B. Resnick, PhD, ATC, BCTMB was named President-Elect and Jesse Boeding, LMT, BCTMB replaced Rebekah Owens, LMT, BCTMB.
“For a fourth straight year, NCBTMB witnessed an overwhelmingly positive response to the Certification Board Elections process,” expressed Portia B. Resnick, PhD, ATC, BCTMB, Board President. “Cynthia and Nicole bring a breadth of educational experience and knowledge to our Board, as well as a contagious spirit. We are thrilled their fellow Certificants voiced such strong support and look forward to working with them both to advance NCBTMB’s mission.”
Cynthia Ribeiro, LMT, BCTMB and Nicole Zeger, M.A., were elected to serve as Practitioner Member and Public Member, respectively. Both will serve three-year terms through February 28, 2023.
The NCBTMB Certification Board is responsible for all aspects of Board Certification, including developing certification criteria and examinations, evaluating candidates for certification, and maintaining the integrity of the certification process. The Certification Board ensures that NCBTMB maintains its status as an accredited certifying body within the massage therapy profession.
Notes to Editor
About Cynthia Ribeiro, LMT, BCTMB, NMT
Cynthia Ribeiro is an expert practitioner, instructor, facilitator, founder, presenter, and business owner. Currently the Advanced Neuromuscular Therapy Manager and Education Specialist at the National Holistic Institute, she combines her superior knowledge base, curricular development skills, teaching abilities, and overall understanding of the industry to deliver top-notch instruction to both students and fellow instructors at ten NHI campuses.
Cynthia has been Board Certified for over two decades. She believes Board Certification is the “pinnacle of professional development” with the power to “provide opportunities for massage therapists to be part of the non-pharmacological solution to the nationwide opioid epidemic and pain management.” Furthermore, she believes Board Certification “elevates the professional to the high standard required of other health care professionals and is a credential that will be sought out as criteria to engage in this important initiative.”
When asked why she wishes to join the NCBTMB Certification Board, Cynthia stated, “The National Certification Board has the opportunity to elevate the profession through Board Certification and its Specialty Certificate exams. I believe elevating the profession through higher levels of education and demonstrating the knowledge of therapists through competencies is a must—and Board Certification does just that.”
- American Institute of Massage Therapy, Costa Mesa, CA – Certificate in Post-Graduate Sports Massage Training Program
- Art & Science of Massage, Seattle Massage School, Seattle, WA – Certificate
- Hospital of San Camilo School of Health Science, Sao Paulo, Brazil – Surgical Nursing
- University of Physical Education of Santa Andre, Sau Paulo, Brazil – Bachelor of Science, Physical Education
- Continuous studies in Anatomy, Physiology, Neuromuscular Therapy and massage techniques and modalities
- National Holistic Institute, Advanced Neuromuscular Therapy Manager and Education Specialist
- Western Institute of Neuromuscular Therapy, Founder and Director
- Institute of Therapeutic Studies, Administrator and Instructor, Sports Massage Program
- American Institute of Massage Therapy, Inc., Assistant Instructor, Director, Sports Massage Team
- American Massage Therapy Association – Past roles include President-Elect, President, Immediate Past President, Committee Chair, Member
- University of California, Irvine (UCI) Medical Center – Associate Volunteer Professor, Volunteer Clinical Facility
About Nicole Zeger, M.A.
Nicole Zeger is a seasoned educator with a solid focus on ethics, philosophy, and religious studies. Currently an instructor for the American InterContinental University Online, she is described by her colleagues as a leader who “readily embraces and promotes diversity.” Having worked at various institutions as both an instructor and Certification Coordinator, she understands the importance of program standards, the value of certification, and the necessity of communication these concepts effectively.
Nicole believes Board Certification empowers practitioners to both list and apply heighted respectability and quality standards within their practice. Clients see and feel the difference while building trust and comfort with a therapist. When asked why she wishes to join the NCBTMB Certification Board, Nicole stated, “I am applying to ensure the National Board has an adequate certification program and the enhanced national reputation that it needs.”
- University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI – Bachelor of Science, Information Science and Technology
- Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA – Master of Arts, Theological Studies
- Augustana College, Rock Island, IL – Bachelor of Arts, Religion, Minor in Ethics
- American InterContinental University Online, Adjunct Facility Member
- City University of Seattle, Associate Faculty Member for Department of Arts and Sciences; Associate Faculty Member for Graduate Program, School of Education; Instructor/Adjunct Faculty Member, School of Management
- Moraine Valley Community College, Adjunct Faculty Member
- Victory Valley Community College, Instructor/Adjunct Faculty Member
- Claremont Graduate University, Teaching Assistant/Guest Lecturer
- Sylvan Learning Center, Teacher
- Claremont School of Theology, Teaching Assistant
- Association for Asian Studies
- American Philosophical Association
- Society for Asian and Comparative Philosophy
- American Academy of Religion
The National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) is an independent, private, nonprofit organization founded in 1992. The mission of NCBTMB is to define and advance the highest standards in the massage therapy and bodywork profession. In support of this mission, NCBTMB serves the profession through Board Certification, Specialty Certificates, an Approved Provider Program, and an Assigned School Code Program. For more information, please visit www.ncbtmb.org.