Unacceptable Course Content includes:
- Core curriculum content including basic anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, pathology, and Swedish massage applications
- Diagnoses (allopathic-based) of clinical conditions
- Implementation of allopathic medical/surgical procedures
- Physically invasive modalities, e.g., ear candles, intra-anal, intra-vaginal modalities, etc.
- Incorporation of chiropractic/osteopathic, e.g., ballistic, thrust oriented or other services and procedures which require additional licensure or certification, i.e., Yoga or Pilates Instructor Certification, Physical Therapy, Personal Training, Weight Training
- Prescription of herbs, nutritional supplements, and /or pharmaceuticals
- Performing hypnosis
- Performing an aesthetician facial or exfoliation of cells from the body
- Performing electrical stimulation, using electrical devices on clients or ultrasound of any kind
- Psychological counseling
- Psychic, clairvoyance, telepathic, astrology, religious practices
- Dry needling and acupuncture
- Breaking or removing tissue from the body
- CBD Products*
- Energy work that does not not include “professional therapeutic hands-on applications”
- Aura techniques
- Crystal healing
- Sound Therapy
- Tuning Fork
- Light Therapy
- Qi Gong or Tai Chi
- Fire cupping or any procedure that works with fire
- Breast massage classes are accepted as part of medical procedures, as prescribed by a physician when they meet state licensing board requirements for practicing breast massage, or when learning about oncology (specifically, breast cancer procedures)
- Tongue Reading
- Erroneous, misleading titles of modalities; a description of the course must be added to the title if the modality cannot be easily deciphered by the title
- Human Trafficking (click here for official statement)
Exceptions: Courses that will be allowed only when the course is designed/outlined and titled as strictly for the therapist’s personal self-care and not to be taught to others or performed on clients, such as:
- Performing active strengthening/physical training to others (acceptable for the therapist’s self-care only).
- Perform yoga/yoga teacher training programs (acceptable for therapist’s self-care only).
Please Note: Basic/fundamental course content represented in the initial massage therapist training, does not qualify for CEs as it is not continued education. Continued education must be of an advanced nature, with more specific approaches.
*How CBD products are derived may mean some products are controlled substances under federal law. There is also scarce research on the efficacy, dosing and contraindications for the consumer or a provider using CBD products.
Additionally, NCBTMB reserves the right to reject any course content that does not adhere to federal laws and regulation, risks participant or instructor safety, and/or is not sufficiently backed up by research.