What is a CE hour?
Continuing education hours (CEs): CEs are calculated based on the content presented in a course. Approved providers must provide documentation to support assignment of CE hours when courses are submitted for approval. All CEs must be clearly documented for participants prior to purchasing a course. CEs awarded must be in whole or half hour increments only.
Face to face course:
- CEs for face-to-face education experiences should match the number of hours of instructions based on a 50-minute hour.
- CEs are not awarded for breaks lasting more than 20 minutes.
Home study courses:
Below are minimal criteria used for assigning CEs to home study courses:*
12,000 words read equals 1 CE
- One hour of video or audio equals 1 CE
- Providers may document additional CEs for course work beyond the word count (i.e. reflective assignments, additional reading).
- No additional CEs may be given beyond those approved unless the course is re-submitted for approval
Approved Providers may also work with an instructional designer to determine CE hours. Instructional designer must provide documentation of assignment of CE hours. Contact NCBTMB staff for additional information at email@example.com.