Burr Ridge, Ill. (March 24, 2020)—The National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork released the following recommendations to Approved Providers today:
COVID-19: Teaching Live Courses as Webinars
Be sure to complete the required NCBTMB documentation should you elect to update course types amid the pandemic
During these difficult times, many NCBTMB Approved Providers have requested to turn live courses into live webinars to support our profession. NCBTMB supports such efforts and aims to provide you with the appropriate next steps, should you/your organization be considering this approach.
Webinar VS Home Study
A live webinar is different than a home study. During a live webinar, the instructor is actively presenting and in contact with participants during the course via phone or live online question and answer format, such as GoToMeeting, Zoom, etc.
During home study courses, instructors do not have continuous communication with participants. Instead, a home study is a pre-recorded video(s) or written document(s) delivered to participants with an exam requirement prior to receiving the certificate.
Switching a Live Course to Live Webinar
If you are interested in teaching a live course as a live webinar, all course information and awarded CE hours must match the information NCBTMB previously reviewed and approved. As long as course content remains the same, NCBTMB does not need to reapprove the content. You will be required to complete an Updates to an Existing Course Form with NCBTMB to make us aware of the change in platform delivery.
If you are planning to offer segments of a previously approved course for fewer CEs (e.g. teaching a technique of only the back when a full body routine has previously been approved), you will only need to complete an Updates to an Existing Course Form with NCBTMB to make us aware of the change.
If you elect to add or change content within your live webinar that differs from what was previously approved by NCBTMB for your live course, this will be considered a new course. You will be required to complete a New Course Request Form with NCBTMB in order to offer CE for this course through your Approved Provider number.
Recommendations When Switching a Live Course to Live Webinar
If you decide to teach your previously scheduled live course on a live webinar platform, NCBTMB highly recommends you first:
- Check with your state board to ensure the course will be accepted in a live webinar format
- Research different platforms, such as GoToMeeting, Zoom, Glisser, Ring Central Meetings, etc.
- Use a recording device that can capture the entire area you will be videoing from; additionally, when teaching a technique, ensure participants can see everything you are doing
- Test your audio to ensure clarity
- Add appropriate breaks; Live webinars follow the same 50-minute teaching with a 10-minute break as live courses
How to Submit a Live Webinar Version of a Previously Approved Course
To submit a live webinar version of a currently approved course through your NCBTMB Approved Provider account, you must:
- Log into your Approved Provider account at www.ncbtmb.org
- Click “Additional Forms” from Quick Links to the left of your dashboard
- Click the “Updates to an Existing Course Form”
- Complete the form with all required course details and include the language “Live Webinar” at the end of the course title
- If the course is also NY Sponsored, be sure to mark the appropriate box to have this title added to that approval, as well
- Click “Submit”
There is no charge to make changes to an existing course. Due to the high volume of courses submitted at this time, please allow additional processing time. All form updates will be communicated via email.
How to Submit a New Course
If you elect to add or change content to a previously approved course, you will be required to submit a New Course Form. To do so, you must:
- Login to your Approved Provider account at www.ncbtmb.org
- Click “Initial Applications” from Quick Links to the left of your dashboard
- Click the “Approved Provider New Course(s) Form”
- Complete all required information
- Click “Submit”
There is a $25 fee per course. Due to the high volume of courses submitted at this time, please allow additional processing time. All course approval updates will be communicated via email.
Contacting NCBTMB During This Time
Due to the high volume of inquiries and courses, we would appreciate your cooperation to submit all questions or concerns via email at email@example.com. Our AP Specialists will make every effort to respond to your inquiries as soon as possible.
NCBTMB will continue to communicate updates via email as they become available.