Specialty Certificate in Oncology Massage
NCBTMB is proud to introduce the profession’s first Oncology Massage Specialty Certificate Program. This program combines superior educational programs and an assessment-based exam to empower therapists to safely work with complications of cancer and cancer treatment.
By completing an Oncology Massage Program through CATA NYC or an S4OM Recognized Educator*, as well as passing the Specialty Exam, you will be able to demonstrate that you have the necessary knowledge and skills to work safely and effectively with cancer patients and adapt for the side effects of cancer treatments ranging from medications, surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.
The Oncology Massage Specialty Exam covers the following topics:
- Pharmacological Considerations for Oncology Massage
- Safe Massage for Oncology Patients with Lymphedema
- Assessment and Application of Oncology Massage
- Massage for Gastrointestinal Cancers
- Massage for Gynecological Cancers
- Massage for Brain, Head, and Neck Cancers
- Massage for Palliative and End-of-Life Care
- HIPAA and Confidentiality
- Ethical Aspects of Care
Qualifications to earn a NCBTMB Specialty Certificate in Oncology Massage include:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Maintain a current Massage Therapy License to Practice for 2+ years
- Provide proof of completion of CATA NYC's Core Oncology Massage Program OR Full Oncology Massage Program OR S4OM Recognized Educator for Oncology Massage Foundational Course
- Passing score on the NCBTMB Specialty Exam
Upon passing the Specialty Exam, therapists are provided a NCBTMB Specialty Certificate in Oncology Massage to present to key stakeholders, such as employers. The certificate arrives within 4-6 weeks following exam completion.
Click here for CATA NYC Core or Full Oncology Program information.
Click here for S4OM Recognized Educator Course information.
Click here to apply for your Oncology Massage Specialty Certificate.*Additional oncology program graduates may qualify to sit for the Specialty Exam through the NCBTMB Portfolio Review process, as long the course/program includes all S4OM curriculum requirements. Contact NCBTMB for more information.
Specialty Certificate Qualifications
- Must be 18 Years of Age or Older
- Current Massage Therapy License to Practice for 2+ Years
- Provide Proof of Completion of CATA NYC's Core Oncology Massage Program OR Full Oncology Massage Program OR S4OM Recognized Education Provider Foundational Course
- Passing Score on the NCBTMB Specialty Exam
Costs for Specialty Certificate
- $95 NCBTMB Specialty Exam Fee
- Oncology Massage Course Pricing May Vary (Check CATA or S4OM Websites for Current Offerings)
Schedule Your Exam
- Complete the required application at exam.ncbtmb.org
- Submit the required documentation & fees
- Take your exam (online) within 30 days of approval