Career Management System:
Need help logging in?
You are here
New Applicant for Licensing Exam
Important Information Regarding NCBTMB Licensure Exams as of October 3, 2014
NCBTMB offers two exams that are accepted in thirty-nine states and the District of Columbia as one of the requirements of state licensure. For the past several months, however, NCBTMB has been actively collaborating with various profession-leading peer organizations to address the confusion between licensure and certification. Licensure is a mandatory, entry level credential that allows a message therapist to practice legally within his/her state. Board Certification is a higher, voluntary credential that extends beyond the basic requirements to show a deeper commitment to both the profession and the public--including more education, hands-on experience, and requires a background check.
On Friday, October 3, 2014, NCBTMB and FSTMB signed a collaborative agreement, marking the beginning of what we believe will provide greater licensure portability for massage therapists. This agreement states that, as of November 1st, 2014, NCBTMB will no longer offer its NCETM and NCETMB licensure exams to the public. Moving forward, NCBTMB will support FSMTB's MBLEx examination as the country's entry level licensure examination.
Important dates to know:
- You may continue to register for NCBTMB's licensure examinations through October 31, 2014.
- You will be given a 90-day window to schedule and sit for your NCBTMB licensure examination from the day you register.
- If you are currently scheduled for an NCBTMB licensure exam, please continue the process as normal. You will not be affected by this change.
For more information on this agreement, please click here.
To register for the Licensing Exam:
- Create an account on our Career Management System by clicking "Register" at the top of the NCBTMB homepage
- Complete the personal information page
- Your login information will be sent to your email
- Create your password and login to the NCBTMB homepage using your user name and password
- Verify your personal information and click the verify button at the bottom of the page
- Go to "Complete a Form" on the left hand side of the page and select and complete the "Licensure Application"
Go to "Complete a Form" and select the payment page for the test that you wish to take (NCETM or NCETMB in English or Spanish)
- Be sure the exam you select is accepted by your state for fulfilling licensing requirements
Submit the following information:
- The completed online application
A copy of your school transcript showing graduation from a school with an NCBTMB Assigned School Code
- While the transcript is not required to take the exam, scores will not be released until a transcript is received
- Payment may be made with a valid American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa credit card
- You may now schedule your examination by clicking on "Schedule Exam" on the left hand side of the page
- You may also purchase the online practice exam for a significant discount by going to "Complete a Form" and choosing either the 1 month or 3 month subscriptions