Career Management System:
Need help logging in?
You are here
National Certification (Retired after Dec. 31, 2012)
The requirements to transition are as follows:
- 750 Hours of total education. Submit your massage therapy transcripts. If your school does not meet the 750 hour requirement, we will accept continuing education that you have completed in the past and any courses taken from an accredited college or university.
250 hours of hands on work experience. The work experience can be used since the time you became certified.
- These hours must be professional hands on work performed after the therapist begins working legally within his or her state.
- 25 hours may be volunteer work.
- Maintain a current CPR Certification.
- Copy of a valid government ID.
Once you have transitioned and become Board Certified you will need to follow the Board Certification Recertification requirements.
- Pass a thorough national background check
Maintain a current CPR certification
- Hours for CPR training may not be counted toward your 24 hours of Continuing Education required for recertification
- Re-affirm commitment to the NCBTMB Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics
- Re-affirm commitment to the NCBTMB Anti-Trafficking Pledge
Complete 100 hours of documented hands-on experience
- Massage Therapy and/or Bodywork (all types, includes Energy work
- Teaching/Teaching Assistant
- Curriculum Development
Complete 24 hours of Continuing Education classes:
- 3 hours of the 24 hours must be in research
- 3 hours of the 24 hours must be in ethics
- No more than 4 hours of the 24 hours may be in self-care
Board Approved Continuing Education Providers