Career Management System:
Need help logging in?
You are here
The National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) is an independent, private, nonprofit organization founded in 1992. The mission of NCBTMB is to define and advance the highest standards in the massage therapy and bodywork. In support of this mission, NCBTMB serves the profession through Board Certification, Approved Providers, Assigned Schools and entry level State Licensure Exams.
Board Certification Credential (available 1st quarter 2013)
Beginning in the first quarter of 2013, NCBTMB will offer a new Board Certification credential. This credential will require that certificants pass the Board Certification exam and complete 750 hours of education, 250 hours of hands-on work experience, pass a background check, commit to oppose human trafficking and hold a current CPR certificate.
For more information about this credential, including qualifying criteria for current National Certification holders, click here.
National Certification Program (available through 12/31/2012)
Our certification program consists of a series of carefully established requirements. Practitioners must meet the necessary eligibility criteria for the certificate, pass an examination, adhere to our Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice, and fulfill the continuing education and recertification conditions.
In brief, to become nationally certified, practitioners must:
- Complete a minimum of 500 hours of instruction
- Demonstrate mastery of core skills, abilities and knowledge
- Pass a standardized NCBTMB exam
- Uphold NCBTMB’s Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics
NCBTMB’s exam programs are accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
At NCBTMB, our goals are to:
- Elevate the profession by recognizing and encouraging excellence in schools, continuing education, therapist competency and high standards.
- Establish certification as a recognized credential of professional and ethical standards
- Promote the worth of national certification to health, therapeutic massage and bodywork professionals, public policy makers and the general public
- Assure and maintain the integrity, stability and quality of the national certification program
- Periodically update the program to reflect state-of-the-art practices in therapeutic massage and bodywork
We are proud to be governed by a ten-member NCBTMB Board of Directors– including a public member appointed to represent the interests of consumers. Elected by our nationally certified practitioners, our board members embody the diversity of our industry in their expertise in many modalities.
1901 South Meyers Road, Suite 240
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
Chair: Leena Guptha, D.O., NCTMB
Chair-Elect: Bruce Baltz, LMT, NCTMB
Treasurer: Alexa Zaledonis, LMT, CPT, NCTMB
Secretary & CEO: Steve Kirin